I would like to know how to sue a verbally and emotionally abusive roommate?

UPDATED: Oct 13, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 13, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I would like to know how to sue a verbally and emotionally abusive roommate?

My boyfriend and I have a roommate who has been verbally and emotionally abusive towards myself. I have evidence printed from my facebook (e-mails, and wall posts). I have more details that won’t be able to go into this short clip, but I would love to tell my story because he has threatened myself mainly and I have not felt safe since we’ve have moved in with him. I would like to know what if any legal action can be taken.

Asked on October 13, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Wisconsin


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you have a roommate that you do not feel safe being around, perhaps you need to speak with your landlord about serving this troublesome tenant with an eviction notice which would resolve your problems of he moves out. Absent this perhaps you should file a retraining order against him but that would not really resolve the situation so long as he is allowed to occupy the unit that you three share.

If you want to file a lawsuit against him for the verbal abuse against you, you can go online and find templates for a small claims court filing in the county and state where you are located. or, you can go down to the county court house and file a small claims court actipon against him for intentional and negligent infliction of emotional distress.

You need to be aware that the filing of any law suit against him could only make matters worse.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption