How do I file an objection with the probate regarding the executor of a Will?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I file an objection with the probate regarding the executor of a Will?

My father passed away, and my brother is the executor of my parents 20 million dollar estate. I am looking to petition the court in Broward County, Florida, to object to my brother serving as the PR. I have emails from my brother that shows clear violations of his role as the executor. I also have a text message. How do I send these emails and text message to the courts to make sure that my objection is filed and heard? I have called the probate attorneys but not sure if that is the right thing to do. I am very concerned as I am hearing from my other siblings that emails are being sent from the PR addressing issues of the Will but do not include me.

Asked on July 8, 2019 under Estate Planning, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

For a $20 million estate, you hire a lawyer--a probate attorney--to represent you and bring the objection for you. Probate court is very rules-bound: minor procedural errors or delays/missing deadlines can result in your objection not being heard. You don't take a chance when (we presume) you believe that (depending on it is split) several hundred thousand to several million dollars is at stake. 
If determined to do it yourself, contact the probate court (either look at their website and/or go to the clerk's office) seek instructions and likely sample or template forms.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption