What are my rights regarding reimbursing a former employer for travel expenses and per diem payments?

UPDATED: Apr 13, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 13, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights regarding reimbursing a former employer for travel expenses and per diem payments?

I worked for a company over 90 days ago; I was an actual employee of the company. The company sent me on 3 out of town trips, for which the company deposited $2000 to use as per diem and to pay for expenses for my trip. This was all over my normal hourly rate, the money deposited was not taxed, I didnot sign any agreement and they did not ask me to. After returning home I had money left over which I considered to be per diem from the trip. Then 6 to 8 weeks later I left the company for a better opportunity. Now, 90 after I left the company, its accounts receivable department contacted me to try to recoup the money. Is there anything they can do legally to charge me for the money?

Asked on April 13, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If the money was for expenses on the trip, then they are entitled to get any remainder or balance back. If you do not return it, they could potentially sue you for the money and would have a reasonable chance of winning in court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption