What are my rights regarding a loss of income during a temporary move out of my apartment?

UPDATED: Oct 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 12, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights regarding a loss of income during a temporary move out of my apartment?

I work out of my apartment as a customer service agent over the internet and on the phone. My building is going to be closed down and they are having all of us living here vacate and stay in a hotel, at their expense. Since I cannot work out of a hotel I had to arrange an unpaid leave of absence from my work. I have requested to the regional manager of my apartment building that I be compensated for the loss of income and am waiting for an answer. If they refuse to compensate me, what are my legal options in this situation?

Asked on October 12, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Nevada


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You don't have any recourse--your landlord is renting you a residence, not an office or commercial space, and so is not responsible for the fact that you choose to work from home (or have arranged with your employer to work from home) and cannot work from a hotel in the interim. That's because a person, including a landlord, is only liable for foreseeable losses, and it is not foreseeable that when you rent someone an apartment to live in that, that not only will they work from that apartment but be unable to work at any other location. Your loss of income is not, for this purpose, the sort of foreseeable loss that the landlord might be responsible for.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption