What should I do if the police want to talk to me regarding missing money from my job?

UPDATED: Sep 23, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 23, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should I do if the police want to talk to me regarding missing money from my job?

I work for a small franchisee as the store manager. The owners found $3,000-4,000 missing starting about 4 months ago. I wasn’t aware that I was doing anything wrong as far as paperwork and was also under the assumption that the owner was doing her part checking her more detailed paperwork. That was not the case. The owners gave the cops our paperwork and video surveillance and now a detective wants to talk to me tomorrow. I’m afraid that they are going to blame me for the missing money. I don’t know what my rights are and how to proceed with this.

Asked on September 23, 2014 under Criminal Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

IF anything you say may incriminate you--that is, if something you might say would may point the finger at you as having taken the money--you have the right to not say those things or speak to the police about them. This is the "right to remain silent" you see on police TV shows and movies. However, you have no right to remain silent *unless* what you would say would incriminate you, or make you look guilty--you can't refuse to speak to the police simply because you'd rather not be involved, or are afraid that a co-worker, friend, or employer may get in trouble.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption