I work at a hospital and walked into a construction area of asbestos removal which there was no signage put up, can I sue

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I work at a hospital and walked into a construction area of asbestos removal which there was no signage put up, can I sue

I was exposed for 5 minutes while fixing a fire bell. Didn’t know that the dust was caused from asbestos. Do I have any rights as far as sueing, or would it be a waist of my time.

Asked on April 20, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Alaska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

What are you suing for--for the hypothetical harm that you may--or may not--suffer one day in the future from the very brief exposure? If so, don't bother: you will not get any money. The law only provides compensation for actual injury which as in fact occured. There is no compensation for exposure or risk without actual harm.Unless you have *now* suffered some harm which can be traced by medical evidence to the exposure, there is no compensation available to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption