I work as a security officer in Florida.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I work as a security officer in Florida.

Under Florida Statute 493, it is illegal for us to leave our posts without being relieved by another officer. It’s considered abandonment of post and we could lose our license for it. We’ve had some management changes lately, and the new manager regularly doesn’t schedule anyone to relieve us. We’re left on duty for hours after our scheduled shift has ended while she tries to find someone to come relieve us. I’m basically being held hostage at my job by the threat of losing my license. Is there anything I can do?

Asked on September 20, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

The bad news is, there really isn't anything you can do to force the manager to be more responsible and to make sure you are relieved on time. The good news, of course, is that all the extra time is compensible work time and you must be paid for it; and if you work more than 40 hours in a week, including due to the failure to schedule a relief, you must be overtime. It doesn't matter if the time is after your official shift: work time is work time, and must be paid.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption