What to do if I will soon be charged next month in a court for assault misdemeanor D?

UPDATED: Oct 16, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 16, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I will soon be charged next month in a court for assault misdemeanor D?

I was not arrested but this is the date of the arraignment I assume. Can I be arrested on this date? Is it a bail-hearing? Is it possible to get a public defender to ask beforehand through written request or only on this date?

Asked on October 16, 2012 under Criminal Law, Massachusetts


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You technically were arrested and released on your own recognizance at the time you were cited by the arresting officer. At this first appearance you will be read the charges against you where you will be requested to enter a plea of guilty, not guilty or no contest.

I suggest that you consult with a criminal defense attorney about the matter you have written about and if you cannot afford a private attorney that you consult with the public defender's office about representation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption