What are my rights agiasnt a beautician and the salon that she works for?

UPDATED: Sep 21, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 21, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights agiasnt a beautician and the salon that she works for?

I went to the same hair salon to the same stylist I have been going to for 3 years. I told her I wanted my hair blonder and she bleached my whole head and it turned out yellow and white. I paid $143. So I let her know I was not happy so she had me go to Her House the next day to fix is and charged me another $10. My hair turned out dark brown. I told her I was not happy so later that day I went up to her work and they bleached soaked it and it turned orange. and I still have orange hair. I talked to the owner about getting my money back and he told me “No it is up to the stylist if she feels i deserve my money back.” So I asked him what my next step should be if she will not refund me and he said “I am not someone you want to mess with”. Now am I pursuing a case in small claims court and I am not sure if I should take only her to court or if I should take the owner to court as well because he makes 50% off any job she does?

Asked on September 21, 2012 under Business Law, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Regarless if the hair stylist that messed up your hair is an independent contractor or an employee you should take both the stylist and the person that owns the salon to small claims court for the $153 that you paid for your hair. Make sure you have photographs of your hair to show the judge.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption