What are my rights if a former doctor wrongfully labeled me as a “drug seeker”?

UPDATED: Jun 19, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 19, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if a former doctor wrongfully labeled me as a “drug seeker”?

I went to see a residential doctor in my town. I saw her 2 times and I just found out almost a year later that she put “drug seeker” on my file. This is seen by the hospital and doctors connected. I don’t know what I said for her to so this. I have been rejected by 4 doctors just thinking they weren’t adding new patients. I am having to wait 6 months to get in to see a new doctor from a different hospital.

Asked on June 19, 2014 under Malpractice Law, Oklahoma


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you consult with a personal injury attorney in your locality about a possible defamation action concerning your labeling as a "drug seeker" subject to a defense of "opinion" by the doctor. Such an attorney can be found on attorneypages.com.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption