What to do if I went to physical therapy 4 years ago but when I tried to pay the co-pay the physical therapist told me that I didn’t have one?

UPDATED: Jan 10, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 10, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I went to physical therapy 4 years ago but when I tried to pay the co-pay the physical therapist told me that I didn’t have one?

Then, last year, I received a bill from the physical therapy place for co-pays that I had attempted to pay when I was attending physical therapy. When I asked why it took them 3 years to figure it out, they said that my insurance had double paid and it took them that long to figure it out and take their money back. They blamed my insurance company, my insurance company is blaming them, and the physical therapy place sent me to collections for the back due co-pays. Is this legal for them to come after me for after having told me that I did not have any copays at the time I went?

Asked on January 10, 2015 under Insurance Law, Utah


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Nope it is not legal. File a complaint with the state agency who oversees this physical therapy place, including the state medical board.  Further, file disputes with all three credit rating agencies if they have reported this on your credit report.  Further, file a complaint with the insurance agency in your state who oversees this insurance company. Between these, you should be all set.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption