What can I do if I went to jail and my medical condition was ignored and I became severely ill?

UPDATED: Mar 31, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 31, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if I went to jail and my medical condition was ignored and I became severely ill?

I told them my health problems – that I had s heart murmur and was a diabetic. However, they never checked my blood sugar, not once. I started to get sick and asked many times to have someone look at me but they ignored me until they put me in an isolation room and I became unresponsive. This happened the third day I was there. People say I should have sued. Can I do anything now? I ended up being hospitalized for a month because my diabetes and ended up with pneumonia in my left lung due to their carelessness.

Asked on March 31, 2015 under Personal Injury, Idaho


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Mistreatment of prisoners that result in personal injury is indeed actionable.  I would go and speak with an attorney asap though becuase thre are notice issues in state cases and statute of limitation issues in general. In your state you only have 2 years to bring a personal injury action but special notice issues are generally required for the state and city.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption