What are my rights to the return of my personal property from work if I was terminated?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights to the return of my personal property from work if I was terminated?

A male and female manager were sexually harassing me. I am not gay but the male manager would write notes or show me pics of him dressed in drag. The female manager would treat me rude until I acted like I would go out with her. After she realized that I was not serious, they both got together and set me up. We work from home most of the week. I live 8 minutes from the job. I went on my 15 minute break from home to go to a non-mandatory meeting. They lied and stated that I was late from work and logging in from home or an app. I was terminated for stealing company time which was untrue. Later, after the terminationm I sent an email to all of the executive leaders and they fired the male manager. I still have not received my belongings. They had me contact their lawyer but in almost a year I have not gotten one thing from my desk. My personal items were more than likely trashed. Also, I returned all of the company’s items such as their laptop and accessories but all I get is they are looking for them. What should I do at this point?

Asked on January 28, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can sue for the value of your property--that's the only way to get any compensation for its loss, theft, or destruction. And unfortunately, you can only get its economic value: the law provides no compensation for sentimental or emotional value (e.g. of photographs or keepsakes). You would sue the company.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption