What constituteswrongful suspension?

UPDATED: Sep 6, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 6, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What constituteswrongful suspension?

I was suspended without pay and for an unknown amount of time after my work was robbed after hour I was one of the closers but wasn’t the one who set the alarm or locked/closed the doors. Do I have a case against my boss?

Asked on September 6, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Do you have an employment agreement or contract, which in some either limits the grounds for which you may be disciplined or suspended, or which sets out some procedure for discipline which must be followed? If you have such an agreement, its terms may be enforced; depending on what the agreement says, this may be a wrongful suspension.

But without an employment agreement, you are an employee at will, and an employee at will may be demoted, disciplined, transfered, suspended, or terminated at any time, for any reason, by the employer. Thus, if you are an employee at will, you employer may suspend you if he or she chooses, regardless of what you did or did not do.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption