What can I do if my employer has breached a verbal agreement?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if my employer has breached a verbal agreement?

I was working full-time at a plant, recently I got another job and now I can’t work the full-time hours. I have a verbal agreement with the plant that I can work part-time hours and when I become eligible for insurance at my other job I must drop my Insurance at the plant. Well now they are telling me that I am not eligible for vacation, and that they are going to drop my insurance and benefits this week. In the employee handbook the only thing that states that you must be full-time is the insurance. Can they do that? We are in a verbal agreement so will I lose if I try to fight it since nothing has been signed stating I can go part-time?

Asked on September 13, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Alabama


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

A verbal or more properly called "oral" agreement like the one you describe is not enforceable for at least two reasons
1 If it is not a written agreement for a definite period of time or duration, it may be changed at will by the employer, so it does not bind them at any time, they can change the terms.
2 If you were working there already, you did not give them any "consideration," or anything of value, in exchange for their promise i.e. they already had your work. But without consideration, there is no enforceable contract rather there is only a "gratiutous" or free promise, which again, can be changed or ignored at will.
Therefore, your employer appears to have had the right to do this based on what you have written, and you do not appear to have any recourse.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption