If I was working atchain restaurant and my boss only scheduled me for 2 hours a night, is that legal?

UPDATED: Apr 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was working atchain restaurant and my boss only scheduled me for 2 hours a night, is that legal?

Asked on April 8, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Georgia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Yes, this is legal.  If you are an "at will" employee (and most of us are), your employer can hire or fire you for any reason or no reason whatsoever, as well as generally impose requirements as it sees fit; including the amount of hues that employee is given to work.  You, in turn, can choose to work for your employer or not. 

The only exceptions to at-will employment would be if:

  • there is a stated company policy covering this,
  • there is a union/employment agreement that governs,
  • or this situation has arisen due to some type of discrimination (there can be no difference in treatment based on race, religion, age, disability, sex, national origin, etc).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption