If I was charged with selling beerto a minor what shouldI do?

UPDATED: Nov 8, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 8, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was charged with selling beerto a minor what shouldI do?

I was working a fundraiser, misread an ID, and sold beer to an underage person. I will own up to my mistake and will be honest I have never sold beer or been put in that position I made a mistake and there was some confusion we were on a shift change and we had a backed up line and definitely misread the ID I am a school teacher for special ed and have never gotten in trouble ever before. I was told to report to arraignment court tomorrow morning. I am very nervous.

Asked on November 8, 2010 under Criminal Law, Oklahoma


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Anytime criminal charges are involved it is always advisable to have legal counsel.  An experienced attorney can possibly get the charge dismissed based on the circumstances or even some type of a procedural impropriety; possibly at least, theycan get it reduced. You have a lot to lose here. Since you are a first-time offender, you will be eligible for something known as "diversion" (or OK's equivalent).  In such a situation, you plead guilty to the charge, receive a special probation, and upon its successful completion the charge will withdrawn.  As long as you stay out of any further trouble your record will be automatically cleared.  However, diversion is generally allowed only once.  So if you (i.e. your attorney) can get the charge dismissed on a technicality or the like, you can then be considered a first-time offender if you should ever again find yourself in a similar situation.  You could then apply for diversion at that time.

An attorney in your area can more fully advise you as to all of this.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption