I was wondering if misdemeanor theft will be removed from my record without expunging it?

UPDATED: Mar 5, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 5, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I was wondering if misdemeanor theft will be removed from my record without expunging it?

I shoplifted 2 1/2 years ago and I went to court. I paid my fines and I was put on unsupervised probation for a year.

Asked on March 5, 2012 under Criminal Law, Louisiana


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The question to ask is whether or not you were given some type of deferred sentence at the time you plead or were found guilty of theft. A deferred sentence is where you will not have a criminal conviction on your record if you successfully complete the terms and conditions of your probation within the allotted time, and the case is ultimately dismissed. If you were not given a deferred sentence, then most likely you have a criminal conviction for theft on your record and that can only be removed by having it expunged. Contact a criminal defense attorney in your area to determine whether your sentence was deferred and you eligibility for an expungment if it was not deferred.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption