I was wondering if I had the right to see what was in my employment file and if I can receive a copy of it?

UPDATED: Feb 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 10, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I was wondering if I had the right to see what was in my employment file and if I can receive a copy of it?

I was told it could just be reviewed. The reason I would like it is because I have been harassed and want whatever paperwork they have before bringing it to the state.

Asked on February 10, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Minnesota


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Your employment or personnel file may be about you, but it does not belong to you--it belongs to your employer. An employee has no legal right to see the contents of his or her employment file. The only time you could gain access to it would be if there is litigation (e.g. if you sue the company for wrongful termination or discrimination); in that event, there is a legal mechanism, called "discovery," that you could use to gain access to the file. Otherwise, it's up to the employer--it's allowed to show the file to you, but is not required to do so.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption