If I was unable to give a 30 day notice before moving, doI have to pay the next month’s rent?

UPDATED: Dec 13, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 13, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was unable to give a 30 day notice before moving, doI have to pay the next month’s rent?

Asked on December 13, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Ohio


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you did not give the required notice before moving, you remain liable for the rent until the place has been re-rented or for the balance of the term of your lease.  The landlord cannot allow the place to remain vacant for the balance of the term of your lease and must make reasonable efforts to re-rent the place.  If the landlord fails to make reasonable efforts to find another tenant, the landlord has failed to mitigate (minimize) damages and the landlord's damages will be reduced accordingly.  Damages means the amount of compensation the landlord is seeking to recover from you in a lawsuit.  Reasonable efforts to attract another tenant would be determined by what other landlords in the area are doing such as running an ad in the newspaper, posting a vacancy sign on the property, advertising in local rental guides, etc.

If all that is required is a thirty day notice, you should give the notice immediately so that you can end your obligation to pay rent thirty days from now.  If you don't give any notice, you are liable for the rent for the balance of the term of your lease or until the place is re-rented whichever occurs first as mentioned above.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption