I was told I’m not performing as needed in my position. I could either transfer or resign

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I was told I’m not performing as needed in my position. I could either transfer or resign

I was pulled into HR by my boss and the head of HR . and was told i’m not performing as expected in my position. The HR lady said I do things well and they want to try and keep me in the district. I work for a high school district and for me to apply for open positions and let her know so she can reach out. I’ve applied for 3 different positions, 2 of them being minimum wage jobs which is making 5 less than what I make now and I haven’t gotten a call or nothing. I keep reaching out to the HR lady and she says she will reach out to them and let me know. Its been a week and she told me ‘at this time you will be contacted if selected. I will follow up with you if I hear anything’. They pretty much told me at the meeting it wasn’t working out but didn’t give me an end date or terminate me. I emailed the HR lady and asked what the deadline was for me and she stated no time frame was discussed but the sooner the better. Why are they being so fishy?

Asked on July 12, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Arizona


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Unless you have a written employment contract (including a union agreement covering your position), you are an "employee at will." As an employee at will, you would have no rights to your job: they can tell you that you have to transfer or resign and if you don't, they could terminate you. They also don't have to actually help you transfer--again, without a written employment contract, you essentially have no rights at work. Seeking other employment elsewhere appears a good option based on what you write.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption