If I was terminated over the phone, do I have a case?

UPDATED: Mar 6, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 6, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was terminated over the phone, do I have a case?

I was driving trucks. I had a black ice accident which resulted in a soft roll over. I called the safety manager to report what happened and he replied I had to many points and the dollar amount was to high. I asked for more reasoning and he said go look it up and its against HR policy to give you a printout of why you were fired. I’m still unsure of the points and dollar amounts.

Asked on March 6, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Texas is an at-will employment state, which means that a person can be fired for any reason... as long as it's not an illegal reason (like race, gender, etc.)  In fact, as long an employer is not letting you go for an illegal reason, they don't even have to tell you why they are letting you go.  The same goes for the method of termination.  Employers can terminate the employment relationship over the phone, in a letter, or in person.  You don't have a claim for employment discrimination based on the facts you set out, however, you should still be able go to the Texas Workfoce Commission and make an application for unemployment.  If your employer wants to contest your right to receive unemployment, they will have to prodcuce the documentation you have previously requested.   You may also want to follow-up with your HR department in person.  Often managers will spout a policy that is not actually in effect-- go get it "from the horses mouth", so to speak.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption