If I was subpoenaed to give a deposition, what are my rights and do I really have to do this?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was subpoenaed to give a deposition, what are my rights and do I really have to do this?

My boyfriend’s ex-wife has been attempting to collect a judgement in civil court from their divorce 9 years ago. He doesn’t have any money or assets.

Asked on September 11, 2015 under Family Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Yes, if you have been subpoenaed, you have to testify if you fail to do so, you could potentially  be sanctioned by the court, up to and including imprisonment e.g.  for contempt of court. You have to answer any and all questions that are relevant to the matter e.g. about his money, job, assets, etc. and which would not implicate you in a crime if any anwers would implicate you, you can refuse to answer by asserting your Fifth Amendment privilege against self-incrimination but this only applies to answers which would potentially make you--not your boyfriend--guilty of crime.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption