If Iwas subcontracting work from another person and he refused to pay me, what canI do?

UPDATED: Feb 6, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If Iwas subcontracting work from another person and he refused to pay me, what canI do?

Asked on February 6, 2012 under Business Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You sue him--that's the best way to recover your funds.

A contract is enforceable, such as a contract to perform certain work or provide certain services in exchange for certain payment or compensation. The agreement is enforceable even if its an oral (sometimes incorrectly called verbal) agreement, though, of course, there can be some practical difficulties in proving the tems or even existence of an oral agreement.

So, to recover your money, you sue the person who's failed to pay you; you will need to prove the terms of the agreement, that you did the work, and what you should be paid. For smaller amounts, you can act as your own lawyer in small claims court; for larger ones, hire an attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption