What is my best move if I was sold a vehicle from a used car dealership that turned out was sold with no oil filter?

UPDATED: Aug 6, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 6, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is my best move if I was sold a vehicle from a used car dealership that turned out was sold with no oil filter?

I was sold a vehicle “as is” from a used car dealership. After about 6 months, it started making a terribly loud metal grating noise. After it was taken into the shop, they informed me that there was no oil in the car at all which was causing the rods in my engine to knock. About 30 minutes later they asked me if I had had the oil changed in the car since I had purchased the vehicle, which I had not. Two of the service employees told me that there was no oil filter at all in the vehicle, and since I had not touched the oil since purchase, the vehicle had to have been sold to me this way. The BBB says take legal action.

Asked on August 6, 2012 under General Practice, North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You should get an estimate for the costs of repairs for the vehicle that you bought from the used car dealership and submit an invoice to it for its repairs. If it will not pay for the repairs, then you should consider filing a small claims action against the dealership if the costs of repairs is in the realm of such a type of court. Otherwise, consult with an attorney who practices in the area of automotive law.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption