If I was recently served divorce papers and I have only 20 days to respond, how do I respond or what do I write to contest this?

UPDATED: Sep 7, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 7, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was recently served divorce papers and I have only 20 days to respond, how do I respond or what do I write to contest this?

The petitioner and I do not have any assets or children together but I still do not want to go through with the divorce.

Asked on September 7, 2012 under Family Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The best way to respond to the petition for a marital dissolution action is to consult with a family law attorney to assist you in drafting out an answer. If you cannot afford an attorney, I suggest that you consult with your local legal aid clinic or court county bar association to see if they have a program to assist a person in your situation.

Another option is to go to your county law library and ask the librarian for assisatnce in getting the proper forms togather for you to fill out, date, sign serve on the spouse and file with the court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption