I was recently sent a judgement but was never told about a court appearance, what can I do?

UPDATED: Jul 12, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 12, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I was recently sent a judgement but was never told about a court appearance, what can I do?

I ‘ve been told after 10 days I can not appeal; it hasn’t been 10 business days.

Asked on July 12, 2010 under Bankruptcy Law, Kentucky


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

The biggest question here is whether you got any papers about this case at all.  If not, you might be able to get the judgment vacated, but you will need to act quickly.

It is possible to have a judgment entered against you, without ever being given notice of a specific court date.  When a civil lawsuit is begun, the complaint (which states the reason for the lawsuit, and what is being asked for) and the summons are served on the defendant.  Once that happens, the defendant has to file written papers (usually called an answer) in response. If the defendant does nothing, the plaintiff can then get a default judgment, with no further notice to the defendant until after that judgment is entered.  If you got the complaint and never answered, there isn't likely to be much you can do now.

If you never got any paperwork on this, and you think you have a good defense to the lawsuit, please see a lawyer, immediately.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption