If I was recently let go from my job of 22 years but was only given 3 months severance, do I have a right to more?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was recently let go from my job of 22 years but was only given 3 months severance, do I have a right to more?

It’s my understanding that the norm is 1 to 2 weeks per year of employment. I’m considering having an attorney send them a letter asking for 6 months severance based on my tenure. Is that worth the time effort and money or should I take the 3 months since they aren’t required to provide severance at all?

Asked on February 10, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Oregon


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You have answered your own question: unless you had a written employment contract guarantying you a certain amount of severance, your employer has no obligation to provide any severance at all and, if they voluntarily choose to give you severance, may offer you any amount they choose, regardless of tenure or industry "norms."

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption