If I was recently injuredbut being paidunder the table, doI have any rights?

UPDATED: Aug 29, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 29, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was recently injuredbut being paidunder the table, doI have any rights?

I tried to get them to put me on the books and they refused and was injured. I am wondering if I have any rights to compensation of any kind?

Asked on August 29, 2011 Washington


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Here is the problem. By being paid under the table, your employer is not really your employer but could argue you are merely an independent contractor being paid in cash or a work for hire. If so, as a work for hire, he doesn't have to give you a 1099 and you have to decide if you made enough to file as self-employed. Then you would be responsible for self-employment tax. If you were an independent contractor, he would need to give you a 1099. If you were truly employed by him (i.e. W2) he would have to report the taxes and contributions to social security and you would receive a paycheck that has taxes taken out. If you were truly an employee, you need to contact the state department of labor, explain your situation and see if you can apply for workers compensation. You might as well apply. Ultimately in this situation the state and federal government may wind up fining your employer or forcing him to pay up. Right now I believe the IRS is going easy in this situation and merely requiring the employers to fix the error if you will and make sure that those independent contractors who should be W2 employees get the correct tax documents and have a proper accounting of their paychecks.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption