I was recently fired from my employer but they will not let me get my tools?

UPDATED: Oct 25, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 25, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I was recently fired from my employer but they will not let me get my tools?

I was fired via text message. It read, “We are going to have to let u go, effective immediately. We cannot afford to continue to pay you, we just can’t get out of the hole that were in.”. It was an automotive repair shop. I own my own tools and toolbox, roughly about $30,000 in tools. I had borrowed $1000 from the business and still owed it when I was fired 5 days ago. The business will not allow me to get my tools and without them I can’t work. They have never paid me overtime even though I worked 50 hours a week over the 2 years that I was there; I was paid by the hour. They’ve never taken enough taxes out of my checks. I always had to pay when I filed. What I need to know is if this is legal and what I can do?

Asked on October 25, 2013 under Employment Labor Law, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

1) Unless you had an employment contract, you could be fired at will.

2) They may NOT keep your tools, even if you did owe them money. While they do not have to let you on their property to retrieve the tools if they don't want to, they'd have to send the tools to you. If they do not, you may sue them for the value of the tools. (Note: they could sue you for the amount of the unpaid loan, if the money was due and you failed to pay it.)

3) If you were an hourly employee, they had to pay you overtime; you can sue them for the overtime you should have received.

4) They should have withheld taxes for you, and to the extent their failure to do so cost you any money--including depriving you of social security credits, eligibility for unemployment, etc.--you could sue them for that, too.

From what you write, it would be worthwhile to consult with an attorney about a lawsuit. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption