If I was recently divorced and represented myself in the divorce, can I request a change to the decree?

UPDATED: Mar 30, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 30, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was recently divorced and represented myself in the divorce, can I request a change to the decree?

I did not have the means to hire an attorney. I found out that my wife and her attorney were less than honest with me through the proceedings. In particular I would be asking to change custody from joint legal/physical to sole physical/joint legal. I would ask for provisions to be made concerning respecting religious affiliation, where the kids are to attend school, participate in sports, etc. It should be noted that the determination by FOC was that she was supposed to pay me child support. I waived that determination, and would continue to waive it.

Asked on March 30, 2012 under Family Law, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you represented your self in a dissolution action where there is a final decree, you can make a request to change it. Whether or not your request will be honored depends upon what the basis is for the requested change and if there are new circumstances warranting the change. With respect to the custody of the children you can make the request, however if the request is less than six months after the prior order, unless there are compelling circumstances for the request, the chances of it getting approved is pretty slim based upon my experience.

I suggest that you consult with a family law attorney to assist you in your matter. If you cannot afford one, I suggest that you go to the nearest legal aid in your town for assistance.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption