If I was recently diagnosed with major depression, am I covered under the American with Disabilities Act?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was recently diagnosed with major depression, am I covered under the American with Disabilities Act?

Now my employer is asking me to seek new employment and has already replaced me without firing me for not being “bubbly” enough.

Asked on December 1, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Nevada


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Depression *can* be a covered condition under the ADA: if it is medically diagnosed, is long-term, and significantly affects life activities, it could qualify as a disability for this purpose. It is the severity and duration whcih determines if it is covered under the ADA. d on what you write, it would be worthwhile for you to contact the federal EEOC or your state equal/civil rights agency to discuss filing a complaint for disability-based employment discrimination: you may be entitled to compensation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption