I was recently charged with DWI in NC, they gave me a blood test my court date is tommorrow, I have no lawyer how can i get a continuance?

UPDATED: Jun 9, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 9, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I was recently charged with DWI in NC, they gave me a blood test my court date is tommorrow, I have no lawyer how can i get a continuance?

This was a license check.Im going to get a lawyer,but i don’t want a public defender.I’m lost.I just need a little more time to prove my innoscence.thanks

Asked on June 9, 2009 under Criminal Law, North Carolina


S.J.H., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Although I am not an attorney in Carolina, I believe  You should be ok tomorrow. I am not sure if you have been arraigned already. This is when you plead not guilty. If you were arrested and appeared in court for the first hearing date you probably have already been arraigned and this is merely a conference. If not you will probably be arraigned tomorrow and the Judge usually enters a not guilty plea on your behalf. He will in all likelihood allow you to be released on your own recognizance.  Before you go to the courtroom you may want to check with the criminal clerk's office to see the procedure. If you have already been arraigned merely tell the Judge that you are looking for a lawyer and need a litle more time to get one. If he asks you if you wanted to be screened for a public defender merely say no thank you I just need a little more time. Be respectful, dress appropriately and do not chew gum in the courtroom. The Judge should give you a continuance. However, once you get that continuance make sure you get an attorney for the next date.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption