What to do if I was recently charged with misdemeanor marijuana possession/casual exchange and possession of paraphernalia?

UPDATED: Oct 28, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 28, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I was recently charged with misdemeanor marijuana possession/casual exchange and possession of paraphernalia?

I had a court date this morning and when I spoke to the DA, I was told that he would drop the Para. charge because it was my first offense and offered me a Judicial diversion. He said that I would have to pay fines for the charge, court cost, probation fees for an 11.29 and also be forced to take 2 mandatory drug tests. In order to get the Judicial Diversion I was told to pay $100 for a background check to be sent to the county clerk and I was given a new court date for my diversion hearing in a month. Do I have to wait until I have my court date in a month to take my mandatory drug tests?

Asked on October 28, 2013 under Criminal Law, Tennessee


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Based upon what you have written you do not have to wait to take your mandatory drug tests but I suggest that you do so. The reason is that mandatory drug tests are required at a moment's notice and the taking of such tests beforehand does not comply with the intent of the testing protocol.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption