What to do if I was recently charged with a DUI?

UPDATED: Apr 1, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 1, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I was recently charged with a DUI?

I was initially stopped for turning into the far lane when making a right onto a 2- lane street. I was told to get out and preform a filed sobriety test. After, the officer asked me to take a breathalyzer test, which I refused. However, when we reached the station, I completed the test and blew a .147. The police officer did mention that I signaled and wasn’t speeding. The charges were a DUI, illegal right turn and refusal of a breathalyzer. What at the chances that the charge could be reduced?

Asked on April 1, 2013 under Criminal Law, Kansas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Given the facts that you have written about there seems that if the matter is taken to trial by the district attorney's office that there is a very good chance that you will be convicted of all charges. With that in mind, you should consult with a criminal defense attorney to see what can be done to get a plea bargain offer that you could life with. The chances that you might be given a reduced charge in a plea are 50/50 based upon my experience in such matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption