I was recently arrested on an outstanding warrant but the charges were later droppedwhat are my rights?

UPDATED: Sep 3, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 3, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I was recently arrested on an outstanding warrant but the charges were later droppedwhat are my rights?

I was recently arrested on an outstanding warrant from 2009 that I was unaware of. After being booked and photographed but not fingerprinted, I was released due to failure of the courts not “pulling” the warrant subsequently after the charges were dropped. I now have documentation of the above. In this county everyone arrested has their picture printed in the local newspaper and so of course this has caused public humiliation to me. Do I have the right to contact the sheriff’s office and local newspaper to print a retraction seeing as if it was the courts fault to pull the warrant? I have the corrected paperwork from the courts but would I also need to contact them? The former probation officer and court rep were nice and promptly responded to the situation and provided the info immediately needed to be released to the sheriffs office however I was still booked which I’m assuming is proper procedure once in custody. Is expungement also an option?

Asked on September 3, 2012 under Personal Injury, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Expungement only happens with respect to a situation where one has been convicted of a crime which does not apply to your matter. As to what your civil recourse may be, I suggest that you consult with an attorney that practices law in the area of personal injury with respect to governmental entity work to see what legal recourse you may have to remedy the humiliation you suffered due to error by a county employee.

I would request a retraction from the newspaper. You have no further court matters concerning the outstanding warrant matter that was managed to be recalled.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption