What doI do if I was rear-ended while stopped at a red light in a rental car and did not report it to the company?

UPDATED: Jul 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 14, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What doI do if I was rear-ended while stopped at a red light in a rental car and did not report it to the company?

They are now calling about damages. I filed a police report, there was minor damage on the rear bumper that I had fixed before I returned the car because we had not purchased the insurance. Now they called about “significant damage to the front right of the car.” The minor damage as in the middle back bumper. Can I get in trouble for this?

Asked on July 14, 2011 under Accident Law, Ohio


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Well not reporting the accident to the rental company is probably a violation of the rental agreement that you signed.  Do you have a copy of the agreement still?  Please read it and please take it someone to read on your behalf if you can not find the provision that applies here (sometimes they can be hidden in other paragraphs and other issues).  I also hope that you have pictures of the damages, a copy of the police report and a copy of the bill from the auto body place.  All these documents will be needed to refute the allegations here made by the rental company that the front right on the car.  Please get help. You can not ignore them for too much longer before they sue you.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption