What to do if I was rear-ended sitting at the crossing guard while taking my 9 year old daughter school?

UPDATED: Feb 14, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 14, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I was rear-ended sitting at the crossing guard while taking my 9 year old daughter school?

We were in my full-size truck with my enclosed work trailer in tow. The lady who hit us claims full responsibility but her insurance company is only offering $300 to fix my truck ,which now has both frame rails bent, and $1,200 for my trailer which they are calling a total loss. They know that I cannot replace it for that but say I should just take it and put it in my sock drawer. I am the only person who brings money in our home; my wife stays at home with our 2 children without the trailer we have no means of income. What do we do?

Asked on February 14, 2013 under Accident Law, North Carolina


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You can sue the at-fault party for negligence.  Your damages (the amount of compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit for negligence) would be the cost of repairs to your truck and repair or compensation for the loss of your trailer.  Your damages should also include wage loss and the cost of a rental vehicle.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption