What to do if I was rear-ended in a rental car and the rental company wants me to pay?

UPDATED: Mar 1, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 1, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I was rear-ended in a rental car and the rental company wants me to pay?

I had a rental car and was rear-ended. I didn’t have the rental company’s insurance and my own didn’t cover the accident. The rental company contacted the party who hit me and they did not respond. Now the rental company is coming to me to pay the damages. What are my options?

Asked on March 1, 2012 under Accident Law, California


Herman Klemick / Klemick and Gampel, P.A.

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You should contact your own insurance company and if you rented with an American Express card they will pay.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption