What to do if I was rear-ended by a county truck and we need a rental while we get an estimate on how much the damage will cost?

UPDATED: Nov 23, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 23, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I was rear-ended by a county truck and we need a rental while we get an estimate on how much the damage will cost?

Their insurance company is saying we need to go through our insurance to pay for the rental but we don’t have the money for a rental right now. Since they hit us it seems like they should have to pay for everything. Please let me know the laws on this because it doesn’t seem fair that they are asking us to pay out of pocket for something they cause.

Asked on November 23, 2014 under Accident Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Their insurer is *not* your insurer: they do not owe an obligation to pay any of your losses or costs until and unless there is a judgment (court determination of an obligation to pay) against their client. So the answer is, while they could *choose* to voluntarily pay your costs to settle the case, they don't have to, unless and until you sue the county and win. Therefore, you could as practical matter have to pay for the rental out of pocket then seek reimbursment or compensation in a lawsuit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption