If I was in an accident and injured, how doI determine what is an appropriate settlement amount to ask for?

UPDATED: Jan 15, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 15, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was in an accident and injured, how doI determine what is an appropriate settlement amount to ask for?

While sitting at a red light in with cars in front and to either side of me, my husband and I were rear-ended. The driver did not even apply his brakes. He drove off and I took pictures of his license plate. My insurance company did a tag look-up and obtained his information. His insurance company admits complete fault and are offering me a settlement. I have muscle tearing and a pinched nerve in my neck causing extreme pain and medical treatment, past my PIPof $2500. What is an acceptable amount to ask for, as this will most likely be a long-term injury? Should I consult with a personal injury attorney? In Harford County, MD.

Asked on January 15, 2011 under Personal Injury, Maryland


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

A settlement of your case should include your total medical bills plus compensation for pain and suffering and any wage loss.  Until you have been released by the doctor at the conclusion of your treatment or have been declared permanent and stationary, it would be premature to try to settle the case because you would not have all of the information necessary for a settlement.  Compensation for your total medical bills and wage loss is straight reimbursement. In addition to your total medical bills, you should also include an estimate of the cost of future treatment if future treatment will be necessary due to the nature of your injury which appears to be the case since you mentioned that your injury is long-term.  By future treatment, I am referring to medical treatment after you have been released by the doctor upon completion of your treatment or have reached a point where the doctor has declared that you are permanent and stationary.  Permanent and stationary means that no further improvement in your condition is anticipated.  It is important to include the estimated cost of future treatment if applicable as stated in your medical report because once the case is settled, you won't be able to ask for more money sometime in the future for that additional treatment.  Compensation for pain and suffering is an amount in addition to your medical bills.  There isn't any mathematical formula, but the medical reports which document the nature and extent of your injuries will be used to determine compensation for pain and suffering.  I would ask for quadruple your total medical bills as compensation for pain and suffering; not expecting to receive that, but as a starting point in negotiations with the insurance carrier.  They will respond with a lesser amount and you can continue negotiating upward if possible from their figure.  If the case is settled with the insurance carrier, no lawsuit is filed.  If you are dissatisfied with settlement offers from the insurance carrier, you can reject those offers and file a lawsuit against the other driver for negligence.  You will need to file your lawsuit prior to the expiration of the statute of limitations or you will lose your rights forever in the matter.  It would be advisable to speak with a personal injury attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption