What to do if I was pulled over randomly by highway patrol in my mom’s car?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I was pulled over randomly by highway patrol in my mom’s car?

I asked why and he said that my exhaust was too loud. I checked and it’s perfectly legal. I had a suspended license so they searched the car and found meth bags with a small amount in them, plus a broken pipe. They arrested me. Now my charges include possession with intent to use and the statement from the officer says he pulled me over for no insurance. He wasn’t behid me. He passed me made a U-turn and pulled me over. The drugs weren’t mine. This has really made life hard.

Asked on July 20, 2013 under Criminal Law, Utah


Robert Johnston / Law Office of Robert J. Johnston Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

This is a Q & A site, and you didn't ask a question. I suspect you want to know if it was legal to pull you over. My guess is the officer would testify that he thought your exhaust was too loud. But I don't know for sure. You first said you were pulled over because of your exhaust, then you said he pulled you because of insurance.

As to the drug charges, that serious. If you have read much on this site, you will see where almost every answer includes a strong recommendation that the individual retain an attorney. That is the same with your question. You need a lawyer.

As to where you said the drugs were not yours. Keep in mind that you were not charged with "ownership" of the drugs. You were charged with "possession" of the drugs.

Depending on information that I do not have, its quite possible that a lawyer could make a huge difference for you. You owe it to yourself to have a meaningful consultation. Most lawyers don't charge for that. I don't.

Talk with an attorney.

Robert J. Johnston

[email protected]



IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption