What will happen if I was pulled over for a faulty brake light and the officer happened to smell some marijuana in my car?

UPDATED: Feb 27, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 27, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What will happen if I was pulled over for a faulty brake light and the officer happened to smell some marijuana in my car?

After a search of my vehicle, they found a small amount of marijuana, and 1 10mg pill of a generic brand Adderall. The officer informed me that the possession of the pill was a felony, which I was unaware of. They confiscated the materials and said that they would need to test the pill to verify the content. Then they let me go along my way. What happens next? Will I get a felony, even though it was such a small amount and I had been unaware of the presence of the Adderall? How should I proceed?

Asked on February 27, 2013 under Criminal Law, Minnesota


Matthew Majeski / Majeski Law, LLC

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Your first step should be to retain a Minnesota criminal defense attorney to review your situation and advocate for you.  A warrant could be issued for your arrest and if it is indeed a felony you could be charged and convicted.  Ignorance, as you can imagine, is an excuse many individuals use (both guilty and not guilty) and may or may not be compelling to a judge.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption