Can my probation be revoked for inability to pay restitution?

UPDATED: Jan 24, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 24, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my probation be revoked for inability to pay restitution?

I was placed on probation and have a heavy fine. However, I have not been able to pay my fines or fees due to me not having a job.

Asked on January 24, 2015 under Criminal Law, South Carolina


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Yes your probation can be revoked for failure to pay restitution. The fact that you don't have a job may or may not matter to the court. However, if you can prove that you have made legitimate attempts at finding employment but have been unable to do so, that will help your cause. The fact is that you should consult directly with a criminal law attorney at this point. You want to avoid the most severe consquences that such a violation can bring.

Also, for further general information, here is a link that you may find to be of help:


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption