What are my legal options if I was phsically threatened by my employer?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my legal options if I was phsically threatened by my employer?

My wife has worked in a dental office for 18 months. The owner, who is also the head doctor, balled up his fist and drew his arm back and said I’m gonna punch you. She is scared to go back to work now. We live paycheck to paycheck. She can file for unemployment? Also, since that is just a portion of what she made, can she sue for lost wages? Also, can she press charges or can she ask him to pay her until she finds new employment in lieu of pressing charges?

Asked on February 25, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Maryland


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

1) She can press charges.
2) She can very likely receive unemployment, since this would seem to constitute "constructive termination:" being effectively terminated due to conditions that no reasonable employee would endure, even under "employment at will." 
3) However, she is not entitled to lost wages or wages until she finds a new job (unless the employer chooses voluntarily to pay her): under U.S. law, unless she had a written employment contract guarantying her pay for a set period of time (in which case she entitled to pay for that period of time), once employment ends for *any* reason, there is no right to further pay.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption