What are my rights if I was out with my friends and was assaulted by a bouncer?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if I was out with my friends and was assaulted by a bouncer?

We were leaving the bar and my friend opened the door too hard and once we tried coming back in, the bouncer said were not allowed back in because he had slammed the door. I then tried to go back in so that I could close out my tab but the bouncer would not let me. He then proceeded on grabbing me and slamming me against the wall. I was dazed for a minute but was able to walk to sidewalk out front. My friends had seen the whole thing. I felt that excessive force was unnecessarily used against me. I proceeded on calling 911 because of this. Once the police showed up, they got my statement and then said he was going to review the tape.

Asked on September 29, 2013 under Personal Injury, Wisconsin


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You can certainly try to press charges against the bouncer, but from what you write, you do not have a viable lawsuit or civil case. In a civil case, you can only recover damages (that  is, compensation) commensurate with the extent of your injuries. Ifyou suffered no lasting harm but were only dazed for a minute, you could not recover any money.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption