What are my rights if I was locked out of my business for late rent payment without notice?

UPDATED: Jan 14, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 14, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if I was locked out of my business for late rent payment without notice?

I have legal state documents stored there because I’m a state operated business. Can they lock up state property and was it proper for them to lock it up without giving me any type of notice or warning?

Asked on January 14, 2015 under Real Estate Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Rental rights for conmmercial tenants are somewhat more narrow than those that exist for residential tenants. That having been said, you still should have been provided some form of notice. You don't give much way way of details but it would appear that your landlord may be in violation of the law. You should rto ead your lease carefully for the provisions that deal specifically with late payments and default. I would then suggest that if you can't work things out with your landlord, you contact an attorney who specializes in landlord-tenant matters.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption