What to do if I was late on property tax payments because address was wrong in city records?

UPDATED: Jun 11, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 11, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I was late on property tax payments because address was wrong in city records?

I purchased a condo and I did not receive tax bills or late notices until 6 months after the due date. After closing I promptly notified the city about the change in ownership, and the clerk updated the record to show my name but must have inadvertently kept the old address. The late notice that I finally received was addressed to my former residence. The county wants payment with interest. Can I protest and pay only the original payment amount? Should I put the money in escrow until this gets worked out?

Asked on June 11, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The best way to handle the situation that you are writing about with respect to property taxes and the improper mailing of the statement to you is to pay the full amount and then file a protest afterwards.

By doing such you will stop the accrual of any interest and penalties in the event that your protest is denied.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption