What shouldI do about repaying the state for unemployment benefits thatI should not havereceived?

UPDATED: Jan 15, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 15, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What shouldI do about repaying the state for unemployment benefits thatI should not havereceived?

I was laid off of my full-time job in 11/09; I was still working part-time at my other job. I never claimed to be completely “unemployed”, only partially. Every claim that I made up until 06/10 was legit. When they asked if I had been paid for the work week,Ii answered yes and entered the amount. However, in June I got a promotion from part-time to full-time assistant manager but Ikept filing the same amount that I had previously so that I could continue to feed my family and provide for them. Now, the state wants me to pay the full amount back, even though I never claimed to be fully “unemployed”. I don’t know how I am going to pay this?. What should I do?

Asked on January 15, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Maryland


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Tis is a very serious position and one that you need to resolve as soon as you can.  You may need some legal advice here and some legal clout to negotiate a repayment plan.  You are going to have to repay them the benefits that you were not entitled to receive so there is no getting around that.  Generally speaking most state the unemployment divisions will work with you on a repayment plan.  If money is tight maybe you can go and see if you can speak with a legal aid attorney or try calling your local bar associations and see if they have any pro bono (free) legal services.  Also try area law schools.  They sometimes have clinic programs.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption