What to do if I was laid off because of excessive call-outs and request time-offs?

UPDATED: Jan 16, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 16, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I was laid off because of excessive call-outs and request time-offs?

I’m per diem but had a set schedule and worked 20 plus hours a week. I never got written up but was talked to by my manager a few weeks ago about my attendance. When I got laid off I wasn’t given last check or anything. It was a total surprise since I never been written up only given 1 verbal warning

Asked on January 16, 2013 under Employment Labor Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you demand the last payment owed you by your former employer by a certain date. If there is no payment you should consult with your local department of labor as to filing a grievance against your former employer for not paying you your last wage and possibly for terminating you. I would also make an unemployment claim for benefits.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption